Press Release: June 5th, 2012
The Mining Injustice Solidarity Network (MISN), along with the Mesoamerican Movement against the Extractive Mining Model (M4), the San Miguel Ixtahuacán Defense Front (FREDEMI), the Parrish Commission Kolol Qnan Tx’otx’ of San Miguel Ixtahuacán and the International Coalition against Unjust Mining in Guatemala (CAMIGUA), are pleased to announce the upcoming Peoples’ International Health Tribunal in San Miguel Ixtahuacán, San Marcos, Guatemala. Click here to watch our promotional video.
On July 14th and 15th, 2012, affected community members, scientists, academics, spiritual leaders, journalists and human rights advocates will come together to carry out an ethical, political and community-driven tribunal. This mechanism was developed to address the health and social impact of Canadian mining company Goldcorp, Inc. with specific attention to three cases:
- The Marlin Mine operating in San Miguel Ixtahuacán, Guatemala
- The San Martín Mine until recently operating in Valle de Siria, Honduras
- The Los Filos Mine operating in Carrizalillo, Mexico
Our jury members are distinguished individuals with a diversity of backgrounds/experiences, including activists, scholars, religious leaders, journalists, and medical professionals from the United States, El Salvador, Chile, Guatemala, and Mexico.
AREA OF FOCUS
The tribunal is focused on analyzing the behaviour and impact of the Marlin mine in Guatemala, the Los Filos mine in Mexico and the San Martín Mine in Honduras. The international jury will deliberate on the following questions:
- How has Goldcorp affected health and wellbeing of the communities in question?
- Does Goldcorp have the social license to operate in these particular communities?
And further, to consider the role/responsibility of the company and state-governments, in particular:
- What has been the response of the government and the company to the issue presented?
- What role have the local, municipal and federal Guatemalan authorities and the Canadian government played in relation to the company? What are the responsibilities of these institutions?
Please check out our promotional video, join us on facebook and stay tuned on July 14th and 15th for live streaming of the event!